Sunday, November 16, 2008

Why I hate AT&T, Post #2

So, after all the bullshit of waiting a month and jumping through hoops to get someone to come out and fix my internet line, I have yet another issue pending with AT&T!!! I HATE THEM! Not only did they send me a bill for the past month when I did not have service (and I expected this b/c it is par for the course) but they also increased my bill by $5/month. I guess I should have expected this but in my naivete I was blindsided. So, it's Saturday morning and these are the steps I take to rectify THEIR awe inspiring bureaucratic piece o crap system :

1. I call the number listed on my bill
2. I go through a bunch of the voice prompts (approximately 2 minutes which seems like an eternity when you know you just need to talk to a human being but they won't give you the option)
3. When I finally get to the prompt about high speed wireless billing it tells me to dial a different number!!! Why WHY WHY is this? I don't get it. My bill is for high speed internet but they put a useless "customer service" number on my bill? Again, and I can't say it enough, I hate them.
4. I call this different number
5. I go through a bunch of voice prompts
6. The office is closed and I need to call back during normal business hours. I so hate them.

So, I'm ready to make the switch. My good friend Maile tells me that RCN is better. She too hates AT&T and has gone through this rigmarole before. I get to speak with a human within one minute of calling! I thinks YES, now we're talking. Helloooo RCN and goodbye AT&T! Unfortunately, they do not service my area so I'm thwarted again. But I don't lose hope...

I look up Comcast. YES! I will go to Comcast. Goodbye AT&T and helllloo Comcast! [They advertise as being Comcastic, right? How great is that?] I know I'm off to a bad start, though, when I call the number that they provide online and the robot voice keeps asking me about my account number. It takes about 3 minutes to try and retry the system. Eventually I get a human. I'm willing to take this in stride. I will win! I will beat AT&T. Comcast gives me their quote for high speed internet service: $59/month! DOH! Crap! $#*! Fuck, damn, shit shit shit on everything!!!!! Turns out that Comcasticness is in no way linked to fantasticness.

My friend Scott sent me a link on how to crack Wireless connections about a week ago (deets are on YouTube..I think it's called Aircrack or something similar). I didn't think I would use it. I want to do the right thing. But, seriously, I consider going to the dark side.

STAY TUNED.

No comments: