Tuesday, November 11, 2008

AT&T = A BIG SMELLY PIECE OF CRAP

I moved to a new apartment on October 1. I called AT&T to have my service changed over to the new apartment approximately 1 week before the move. When I moved in I was unable to connect to the internet. Here is the process I went through to attain internet access:

Call #1: Went through the voice prompt menu (this takes about 2 minutes). Spoke with a service desk person. He told me to disconnect everything. Then I had to reconnect everything. DIDN'T WORK. Next I had to change the phone line cord so that the side that was plugged into the wall was now plugged into the modem and vice versa. DIDN'T WORK. Next he told me to hit the reset button. NOTHIN' HAPPENED. He told me he would check the line and I would get a call back within 30 minutes. In thirty minutes I got an automated call back saying my line was clear and I should have internet access. Guess what! It didn't work!

Call #2: Basically followed all of the same steps as call #1 (including the godforsaken voice prompt menu). Was told my modem probably needed to be replaced. He gave me a ticket number and said it would at my place in two business days. I said that I didn't think that was necessary since my old modem was working just fine at my old place a couple days ago. He said I should at least try. He gave me my trouble ticket # and a number to call if I did not receive the modem

Waited 1.5 weeks, modem never came.

Call #3: Dialed the number that the last "helper" gave me. Turns out it was the AT&T store and since I only had the trouble ticket # and not the order number, I would need to go through entire process again.

Call #4: Repeat of Calls 1 and 2 except this time I refused to try plugging and re-plugging stuff in. I told them I'd already gone through this and I needed the order number for the modem I didn't think I needed. They submitted new order and gave me the number. They said it would arrive in 7-10 business days.

Waited 1 week. Received new modem. Plugged it in. It didn't help get me internet access.

Call #5: Repeat of calls 1-4. I refused to do the replugging and demanded to talk with a technician. Technician accessed my line and said I had a strong signal. Then he realized that something must be wrong with the circuits. He hypothesized that they were crossed and he would have to send out a technician. "Great, that is exactly what I have been asking for!", I said. He replied the technician would visit my place the next day (Saturday) between the hours of 8-5. "Will they call me when they are on their way so I can make sure to be home?". "Yes", he said.

Call #6: The next day rolls by and at about 4 pm I really begin to worry the technician won't show. I call AT&T again. They tell me that a technician was at my house at 8 am but could not get in to see the circuits. ARRRRRGH. I was home at 8 am, why didn't they call me? The guy apologize and sets up an appointment time for another technician to come out. I tell him I can do any day except next Tuesday. We hang up so he can call them. He calls me back and says that he scheduled an appointment for 6 pm next Tuesday. ARRRRRGH. He has to hang up and call me back again when they figure out another day. He calls back and schedules technician to come out the following Friday.

1.5 MONTHS AFTER PLACING MY FIRST CALL OF DISTRESS, A TECHNICIAN ARRIVES AT MY HOUSE.
He is a kind man originally from Ethiopia. He recommends an Ethiopian restaurant on Broadway and Lawrence. He goes into the basement, he comes back up. Problem solved- the circuit was crossed. I love this man. I hate AT&T.

Thanks for reading all of that.

2 comments:

M said...

a ha ha ha ha ha. you should hear our At&t stories (2 of 'em)...one ends with an intervention by the better business bureau of missouri and the other ends with RCN. We haven't had at&t since August, but get monthly bills and checks in the amount of the bill. I'm really surprised they have any customers at all. RCN is great if you can get it in your area. And half the price.

M said...

sorry it didn't work out. i would rather take a walk on the dark side than give a penny to at&t. justin just said that he saw a sign in someone's house on beacon and wilson that says "at&t is the worst corporation in the world. avoid them at all costs."

The following is info i posted on www.complaintsboard.com for people who were having problems getting their rebates from at&t. i received personal calls from at&t within 30 days after doing so in addition to a rebate.

FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU, FCC AND CONSUMER WATCHDOG GROUPS TO PREVENT THIS FROM CONTINUING.

link to Better Business Bureau of Missouri's online complaint form:

https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

use this contact information:
A T & T
1010 Pine St Rm 6-e-20
Saint Louis, MO 63101-2015

link to the FTC complaints online filing:

https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.startup

and the Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights (FTCR):

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/complaints/