Sunday, April 26, 2009

1.

Ok, in my quest to note down all things annoying, here is the latest.

1. I used to go to Barack Obama's dentist when I worked for the hospital. It was a really nice place overlooking Millenium Park. However, with the job change I now have a different insurer. When I tried to make an appt with Mr. President's dentist and told them I am insured by Delta, they told me I have to pay up front and get paid by my insurer. Since this is annoying I decided to try a different place located in my hood. I went to my new Dentist and she was awful. The main issue was my chipped teeth. I explained the problem and she nodded and got to work. I looked around at the walls and ceilings- it was really gross. There were holes in the wall from where a coat hook used to be. All of the equipment was covered by this yellowed plastic that was probably purchased in 1979. I think she's from Eastern Europe and she barely said a word. I vowed never to go back.

When I went to the reception desk at the end of the visit I was told I didn't have to pay a $20 co-pay (strange). It's a month later and I received a bill for $116. It turns out Delta Insurance doesn't pay for chipped teeth to be smoothed out? Called the dentist's office. They agree it is strange that the insurance wouldn't pay, and that is why the paid 1/2 of the bill (each chipped tooth cost $116 to repair). Funny thing is that my teeth feel and look the same and it was the worst but most expensive visit of my life.

Long story short- President Obama's dentist totally knows what's up when it comes to Delta being a shitty insurer. I

2. I bought a Blackberry on craigslist for $100 because I needed a new phone and wanted a better keyboard to text with. I also like the games it comes with and its overall quality. I asked the dude to just switch my info from my old cell to my new one. He did so with no qualms. I guess he didn't think the $80 hike in fees would matter to me? How ridiculous. I went back into the store a month later and asked why the fees had gone up. Turns out I now have a data plan (internet). I told them I didn't want it, they say I have to have it. F*&% that! Since when?

After doing some research online it appears that many others have run into this same situation with mixed results. Sometimes Verizon lets you cancel your data plan while other people have been forced to continue it or cancel their plan altogether. How ridiculous is this? Why does one company apply different rules in different locations?

I think my next step is to pay someone from craigslist to "unlock" my phone and then switch carriers. Is this really necessary?

1 comment:

M said...

ha! all dentists are suspect. i only see my dentist in hilo and i pay cash for the priviledge of seeing someone whom i can trust. i've had at least 3 dentists mess up my teeth...never again.

sorry about your chipped teeth!